Cisco UCS C220 M4 Rack Server
The enterprise-class UCS C220 M4 server extends the capabilities of the Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) portfolio in a one rack-unit (1RU) form-factor. It provides:
- Dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v3 or v4 processors for improved performance suitable for nearly all 2-socket applications
- Next-generation double-data-rate 4 (DDR4) memory , 12 Gbps SAS throughput, and NVMe PCIe SSD support
- Innovative Cisco UCS virtual interface card (VIC) support in PCIe or modular LAN on motherboard (MLOM) form factor
The Cisco UCS C220 M4 server can be deployed standalone or as part of Cisco UCS, which unifies computing, networking, management, virtualisation, and storage access into a single integrated architecture. This helps to enable end-to-end server visibility, management, and control in both bare-metal and virtualised environments. In Cisco UCS-managed operations, UCS C220 M4 takes advantage of our standards-based unified computing innovations to significantly reduce customers’ TCO and increase business agility.
Cisco USC C220 M4 Rack Server Features
The enterprise-class Cisco UCS C220 M4 server extends the capabilities of the Cisco UCS portfolio in a 1RU form factor. It incorporates the Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v4 and v3 product family, next-generation DDR4 memory, and 12-Gbps SAS throughput, delivering significant performance and efficiency gains. The Cisco UCS C220 M4 rack server delivers outstanding levels of expandability and performance in a compact 1RU package:
- Up to 24 DDR4 DIMMs for improved performance and lower power consumption
- Up to 8 Small Form-Factor (SFF) drives or up to 4 Large Form-Factor (LFF) drives
- Support for 12-Gbps SAS Module RAID controller in a dedicated slot, leaving the remaining two PCIe Gen 3.0 slots available for other expansion cards
- A modular LAN-on-motherboard (mLOM) slot that can be used to install a Cisco UCS virtual interface card (VIC) or third-party network interface card (NIC) without consuming a PCIe slot
- Two embedded 1Gigabit Ethernet LAN-on-motherboard (LOM) ports
Cisco USC C220 M4 Rack Server Technical Specifications
|DDR4 memory||24 slots for registered DIMMs (RDIMMs) or load-reduced DIMMs (LRDIMMs) that deliver significant improvement in
application performance: The Cisco UCS C220 M4 server supports up to 3 DIMMs per channel at 2400-MHz
|1 or 2 Intel Xeon
processor E5-2600 v4
and v3 product family
|The Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 and v3 product family is designed to deliver the best combination of
performance, built-in capabilities, and cost-effectiveness:
● Over twice the performance and more cores (up to 22 cores per socket) than the previous generation Intel Xeon
● Low power, high speed DDR4 memory technology.
● Increased performance with Intel AVX2.
● Increased in virtual machine density.
● Automated energy efficiency that reduces energy costs by automatically putting the processor and memory in
the lowest available power state while still delivering the performance required and flexible virtualization
technology that optimizes performance for virtualized environments, including processor support for migration
and direct I/O.
● Cisco UCS C-Series servers keep pace with Intel Xeon processor innovation by offering the latest processors
that increase processor frequency and improve security features. With the increased performance provided by
the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 and v3 product family, Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers offer an
improved price-to-performance ratio, making Cisco UCS servers among the best values in the industry.
|Support for up to 2 PCIe
|● Flexibility, increased performance, and compatibility with industry standards.
● Substantially increased bandwidth compared to the previous generation, with more flexibility and backward
compatibility with PCIe 2.0.
● Greater I/O performance and flexibility.
|Support for an mLOM
|● New to the Cisco UCS C220 M4, the mLOM slot can be used to install a Cisco VIC or third-party NIC without
consuming a PCIe slot, providing greater I/O expandability.
|40-Gbps unified network
|● Low-latency, lossless, 40-Gbps Ethernet and industry-standard FCoE and native Fibre Channel fabric.
● Wire-once deployment model: Changing I/O configurations no longer requires installing adapters and recabling
racks and switches.
● Fewer interface cards, cables, and upstream network ports to purchase, power, configure, and maintain.
|Cisco Data Center Virtual Machine Fabric Extender (VM-FEX) and Adapter-FEX technologies, I/O virtualization,
and Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v3 product family features, extending the network directly to virtual machines.
● Consistent and scalable operational model.
● Increased security and efficiency with reduced complexity.
● Capability to move virtual machine security features and policies from rack to rack or rack to blades.
(when integrated into
|● Can be deployed as a standalone server or in a UCS-managed environment.
● When combined with Cisco UCS, the entire solution can be managed as a single entity with Cisco UCS
Manager, improving operational efficiency and flexibility.
● Service profiles and templates that implement role- and policy-based management, enabling more effective use
of skilled server, network, and storage administrators.
● Automated provisioning and increased business agility, allowing data center managers to provision applications
in minutes rather than days by associating a service profile with a new, added or repurposed Cisco UCS C220
● Capability to move service profiles from rack server to another rack server, blade to rack server, or rack to blade
server in minutes instead of hours or days.
SATA, or SSD drives
|● Up to 8 front-accessible, hot-swappable SFF HDDs or SSDs or up to 4 LFF drives and optional NVMe PCIe
SSDs, providing redundancy options and ease of serviceability.
● Balanced performance and capacity to best meet application needs:
◦ NVMe PCIe SSDs
◦ SATA SSDs
◦ 15,000-rpm SAS drives for highest performance
◦ 10,000-rpm SAS drives for high performance and value
◦ 7200-rpm SATA drives for high capacity and value
|Cisco® 12-Gbps SAS
Modular RAID controller
|● Cisco 12Gbps Modular RAID PCIe Gen 3.0 controller provides enterprise-class data protection for up to 8 SAS,
SATA disk drives or SSDs.
● RAID card is plugged into a dedicated PCIe slot, leaving the two remaining PCIe slots available for other I/O
● Available with configurable DDR3 Cache memory: 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB Flash-backed write cache
● RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, and 60 supported.
● JBOD/SAS/SATA Pass-through mode (default).
● PCIe Gen 3.0 x8 support.
|Software RAID option||● The software RAID option supports RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 for up to 4 SATA HDDs or SSDs|
|● Web user-interface for server management; remote keyboard, video, and mouse (KVM); virtual media; and
● Virtual media support for remote CD and DVD drives as if local.
● Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) 2.0 support for out-of-band management through third-party
enterprise management systems.
● Command-line interface (CLI) for server management.
● Provides UCS visibility and control to management ecosystem partners using a comprehensive XML API.
|● Hot-swappable, front-accessible drives.
● Redundant Cisco FlexFlash SD cards.
● Dual-redundant fans and hot-swappable, redundant power supplies for enterprise-class reliability and uptime.
● Convenient latching lid for easy access to internal server.
● Tool-free CPU insertion allows for processor upgrades and replacements with reduced risk of damage.
● Tool-free access to all serviceable items, and color-coded indicators to guide users to hot-pluggable and
|Security features||● Trusted Platform Module (TPM) is a chip (microcontroller) that can securely store artifacts used to authenticate
the platform (server). These artifacts can include passwords, certificates, or encryption keys. TPM 1.2 SPI-based
and TPM 2.0 modules are supported.
● Locking bezel option can be mounted to the front of the chassis to protect against unauthorized access to the
|Cisco Flexible Flash
(FlexFlash) Secure Digital
|● The server supports two redundant internal Cisco FlexFlash SD cards, which can be used to install a boot OS or
● Cisco FlexFlash SD cards also support Utility mode with out-of-band update of utility partitions.
The Nexstor Approach
For over 15 years Nexstor has architected, implemented and supported best of breed data platforms which house the critical information that powers your business.
Request a quote
Other products from this vendor
Cisco UCS servers simplify your data centre architecture; reduce the number of devices to purchase, deploy, and maintain; and improve speed and agility.