In the guest blog below, originally written by Data Core, we learn about software-defined storage including the benefits of utilising software-defined storage and how to implement an integrated, standardized SDS solution. This article explains how software-defined storage can assist in future proofing your company’s infrastructure.
You can find Data Core’s full blog below, as well as a link to the original at the bottom.
Confused about Your Storage Strategy?
If the definition of software-defined storage (SDS) seems a bit ambiguous to you, you’re not alone. Some people refer to it in a way that makes it sound like a completely new form of storage, while others in the industry tend to emphasize the software aspect, implying that the hardware doesn’t matter.
When you look at the definition of SDS according to the nonprofit Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) organization, it describes SDS as “virtualized storage with a service management interface.” According to the SNIA, “SDS includes pools of storage with data service characteristics that may be applied to meet the requirements specified through the service management interface.” The point is, according to SNIA, that SDS is more than just storage virtualization.
To be defined as SDS, it must have the following characteristics:
- Standard APIs for storage device management
- Provisioning and maintenance
- A virtualized data path
- Transparency (the ability to monitor and manage storage consumption)
Many organizations are unclear about how to implement an integrated, standardized SDS solution that encompasses compute, storage and network. More importantly, the entire IT operating model and mindset of IT managers needs to be evolved toward the future—a future that embraces easier management of the entire pool of IT resources and adopting SDS is a big step in the direction of modernization.
Get your instant SAN quote in just under 2 minutes
Use our quote generator today to get the best SAN prices for storage solutions that best fit your specific business needs.
The Benefits of Software-Defined Storage
Still not convinced yet?
Read below for just 10 benefits of SDS that exemplify why this software foundation is the solution for the modern, high-performing, always-on data center:
- No hardware vendor lock-in
- Helps you be well positioned to adopt the next technology innovation
- Let’s you get the most from what you already own with efficient utilization of your existing resources
- Provides powerful functionality at your fingertips
- Offers ease of management across your infrastructure
- Improves the performance of your business-critical applications
- Gives you a simpler way to protect and recover all your data (even from remote sites)
- Offers optimal performance with cost efficiency
- Stops the “Rip and Replace” cycle
- Provides a proven solution tested by thousands of global customers
What Is Stopping You?
At DataCore, we know you have questions, and we have answers.
Download our white paper, Top Ten Reasons to Adopt Software-Defined Storage, to learn more about how our SDS and our expertise can help you get more out of your infrastructure, both performance-wise and cost-wise.
Originally posted by Data Core here: